Having run most of my life in Malaysia, imagining to run in the winter seemed to be too farfetched. The cold weather scenario was too much I could ever handle. Running on the powdery snow, battling against the freezing cold climate definitely sounded perplexing.
When I received an invitation from National Marathon Association South Korea, the host of 2018 PyeongChang International Naked Marathon, I had to put up with a mixed bag of feelings. A part of me was looking forward to the phenomenal event, another part of me was struggling to even think about it.
There was an iconic combination of reluctance and rhapsody coming up together. After a long consideration, however, I certainly felt excited about getting it done. I could not wait to cross the finish line. The time I had put in to build the right mindset in order to make sure that I was ready to conquer the grueling weather.
I had visualised myself getting through this tedious challenge kilometer by kilometer. I had planned my right running gears to avoid catching a cold. I had done some research to reach an understanding of the proper control of my breathing, and muscle movement. All in all, I had the ultimate goal: to complete the race.
Running on snow - embracing the sub-zero climate
It was a 2-hour drive from Seoul to Pyeongchang, a county in Gangwon Province, which is also the host city for The 2018 Winter Olympics, officially known as the XXII Olympics Winter Games. An international multi-sport event scheduled to take place from 9 to 25 February 2018.
In conjunction with The 2018 Winter Olympics, I was determined to also take part in 2018 Pyeongchang International Naked Marathon. Yes, you heard it right. The thought of running naked on snow had never once overtaken my mind. Provided that I was physically ready, my mindset power combined with a clear sense of purpose enabled me to focus on what mattered most, compelling to go beyond what I could push forward.
The climate change was slightly increased early in the morning. I had a french toast with some peanut butter spread for my breakfast. Afterward, I got myself in a totally different dimension expecting the best and worst that could happen to me. At 9.30am, I arrived at Daegwallyeong High School, a township in Pyeongchang. Overlooking the football field with a thick coat of bleach-white snow, I was startled glancing at shirtless runners who were leaping around to stay warm.
Thoughtful organizers provided some portable and electric heaters in the middle of the field. Automatically, participants stood closer to the heaters making use of them to keep themselves warm. The icy air whistled around my ears, causing my skin to tingle and sting. Fingers and toes were numb, albeit it was a good feeling. Eventually, as I adapted to the temperature, I attempted to take off my outer layer of clothes. The urge to begin a run was consuming and I had to keep myself reminded that everything would turn out right.
Before the run started, everyone seemed to be energized by the South Korean singers who performed stimulating music on stage. Next to the stage, some were getting excited over a body painting session. Being a complete novice in the South Korean running community, I took some effort to observe the sporting arena. Surprisingly, I hardly saw the young runners in the event. Instead, most of them were probably in their 50s to 70s.
Dealing with the cold, ice, and snow
Flagging off at 10.30am, every step I took left a fresh, crisp footprint on the snow. Snowflakes fell gently on the ground, and the frosty air tickled my face. At the first 3km, I started encountering a pair of legs running in anguish. As my pace became slower, some local runners in their vigorous 60s were constantly cheering for me. "Fighting Korea! Fighting Pyeongchang!" The unceasingly encouraging motto helped to enliven my running drive. The run was sure exhausting and excruciating, however, to the local runners, it felt alright to even run shirtless.
The sceneries were breathtaking along the way. Running on the fresh snow-covered paths offered experiences of a special kind. I pushed the boundaries and continuously testing my limits, at the same time, indulging in the views while runners uninterruptedly running past me. My body eventually heated up as I kept running, and running in the sub-zero weather did not feel as appalling and dreadful as I expected.
Aside from my runny nose, I was glad that I successfully made it to the finish line. The moment was profoundly incredible when the usher handed a finisher medal to me. Instantly, I made my way to the front stage where the rest of the finishers congregated and shared their happiness. It indeed felt surreal to complete the race.
Despite I became one of the very few slow runners, this 10km of life-changing excitement was absolutely worth a try. Holding a medal in my hands, I moved forward boldly with confidence, contentment, and thought to myself, "I did it!"
As the saying goes, "It always seems impossible until it is done," And 2018 PyeongChang International Naked Marathon will always have a piece of my heart that smiles whenever I think about it.
Any thoughts? Talk to trailandthrill@gmail.com


























Comments
Post a Comment