Phukethon 2017: The Phuket Old Town

Here came the day. Of international marathon running distances; 41.195km, 21.1km, and 10km which the courses were certified by Athletic Association of Thailand (AAT), Asian Athletics Association (AAA), and International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF); I ran the 10km Old Town Run.


The next morning at 5, motivated runners assembled at Saphan Hin Park. As I was searching for my starting position within a huge throng of runners lining up near the start line, I was amazed at the number of people partaking in this momentous event. Everyone was busily doing warm-ups. I was not nervous at all, but loved how relaxed everyone was before the flag off. I did not push myself but took it slow throughout the run.

Aside from the well-known beaches, Phuket Old Town featured a sensational mix of old and new, simple and sophisticated, peaceful and pulsating. For the first-time visitors, it would unequivocally be a lifetime memory to remember. Non-stop bustle and hustle of the town was rigorously controlled by the policement. The way the sunlight hit the buildings. The amiable faces the locals showed down the path. There was no word to describe the picture, not a single syllable.






I was overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the town and the huge variety of things I could find here. The Phuket Old Town had the densest concentration of heritage buildings to see. The local citizens, mostly the old folks, were diligently taking care of their shops. The unique selection of restaurants and shops, markets as well as the beautiful historic streets made me pause the pace to admire.

Some of the best bits of Phuket Old Town were unpredictably well hidden in the warren of old, narrow streets. As I ran, I felt the friendliness and warmth from the organizer as they prepared sufficient water stations at every 2 to 3 kilometers. There were also music bands playing songs to cheer us up.




Running, after all, became not purely a sport, but allowed us to gain more insights into the race route. Apart from the fascinating sites, the event ushers would also help to make sure that we had all of the assistances we needed to make most out of our run in this noteworthy place.

As I approached the finish line back to Saphan Hin Park, thunderous applauds from spectators crushing on us came from both sides of the street. After receiving my finisher medal, I stretched my calves and quads then fueled my tummy with some local food, and coconut juice provided by the organizer.

While relishing in my post-run meal and basking in the view at the park, it left me in a peaceful moment longing for more. The sunrays poked through my face as if telling me, "Hey, you have done a great job!"

Any thoughts? Talk to trailandthrill@gmail.com

Comments